Thursday, April 7, 2011

Glamour Peeps





Last week I got the idea to make peeps, but not just regular peeps... I wanted to give them a makeover and create GLAMOUR PEEPS!  I've always been a fan of these adorable little chicks, and even as a kid they were the only candy I wanted for Easter.
I do remember asking for a white chocolate bunny one year but I never even ate it.  My reasoning: I thought it was too cute to eat :)  However, I never had any problem eating peeps.  Even now it takes a lot of will power for me not to buy them!
Now you should know that once I get an idea in my head it is full steam ahead!  As I was conceptualizing this glamour peep idea I started thinking about how I would even make them.  I knew I would start off making my marshmallows, but would I just use a cookie cutter and cut out cute little shapes?  Nah that wouldn't be enough for me.  I knew I would have to pipe them.  The next question was how do you pipe a peep?  Well I decided to wing it and it worked!  Okay so I made marshmallows and tinted them pink-surprising right?!  They looked so cute when I piped them.  I could have left them alone at that point but that wouldn't have been very glamorous, and I tend to like things over the top ;)  Enter disco dust... I cannot even begin to tell you how much I LOVE disco dust!  It's edible glitter.  I mean really what's not to love?!  Once my peeps dried overnight I brushed them with water and then covered them in pink disco dust.  I used blue food coloring to give them eyes and GLAMOUR PEEPS were born :)  The last thing to take care of was presentation.  The only proper way to display GLAMOUR PEEPS is on a feather boa! I knew that would come in handy one day ;)

Ready for my close-up!





Marshmallows

  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 egg whites
  • 2T. powdered gelatin
  • 4T. cold water
  • 1t. vanilla extract
  1. Mix powdered gelatin with cold water (add extra water if needed) and set aside.
  2. Combine corn syrup, sugar, and water in saucepan and bring to 235 degrees using a candy thermometer.
  3. While bringing sugar mixture to a boil begin whipping egg whites in mixer till soft peaks form.
  4. When sugar mixture reaches 235 degrees add gelatin and quickly stir to dissolve.
  5. Slowly add hot mixture to whipping whites.
  6. Add vanilla and whip till stiff.
  7. Add food coloring if desired.

Peeps

  1. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper.
  2. Cover parchment with powdered sugar(don't be cheap)
  3. Fill a piping bag with marshmallow.
  4. Pipe a tear drop shape first.
  5. Then pipe the peep by squeezing the marshmallow on top of the tear drop pulling the piping bag up. Slowly release your pressure and bring forward.
  6. Allow peeps to dry overnight in a cool dry place.
  7. Brush lightly with water.
  8. Brush with disco dust.
  9. Place the eyes on them using a toothpick dipped in food coloring.


Important Notes:
*When you have marshmallow in the mixer make sure you keep the mixer on.  If you let marshmallow sit it will dry out and be useless.
*Put a lot of powdered sugar under the peeps.  They are very sticky.













55 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I cannot believe you made your own peeps! And yes, they are very glamourous...love the sparkly pink! Great homemade treat for Easter baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO impressed that you created your very own handmade peeps. They are super cute and quite glamourous. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now your unstoppable, what peeps will come next?
    Maybe a royal wedding peep....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a beautiful job!!! They look soooo cute, and colorful. I would feel bad eating them;-)
    Take care,
    Terra
    www.cafeterrablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! What a creative, cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun and elegant at the same time. What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are very talented and creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought its X'Mas deco! They are too beautiful I wouldn't have the heart to eat them...:)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are amazing! for some reason, i was thinking about making my own peeps too - even though i don't like eating them. when i saw them in the store the other day, i was like hmmm that's just marshmallows and sanding sugar... but you took it to a whole other level! =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4/08/2011

    no way! these are the coolest peeps EVER! i love peeps! i can't wait to try this recipe, i know a lot of people who would kill to get this recipe lol i'll definitely pass your site on, am now following, thanks so much for sharing! =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peeps have and always will wig me out, I think the storebought ones are gross. But these are incredible! I wouldn't eat them, I would just look at them! I am retweeting these, they are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MUST MAKE! WOW!!! WOW!!!!!!!!! And I don't even like Peeps. But I'm telling you I must make these!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like I need to dress up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pink. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4/08/2011

    So cute dahhhling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who new that you could even make your own Peeps? These little darlings are too cute, and I love the glitter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4/08/2011

    These peeps look beautiful! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks amazing. So cute! I like your pink mixer! :)

    { bittensweetblog.com }

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely FAAAAAABULOUS, Daaahrrling! I love these peeps. They are incredibly glamourous :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so inventive - and impossibly cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really pretty!

    On my blog there are several awards for you (you totally deserve them)... check it out! :)
    http://www.alterkitchen.it/en/2011/04/i-miei-primi-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This totally just made my week!! These are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh those look fabulous! I love the idea of making your own peeps. I think my daughter had a heart attack when she saw them and is now demanding to make some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Made of win! I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - very glamourous peeps! Definitely ready for their close up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They're gorgeous! You ROCKED this one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm typically not a big fan of peeps, and never would have really thought to make my own, but these are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very impressive! These are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Too cute! I love the sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it! The peeps really did need a makeover! So glad you gave them one! They do look so glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
  31. They are just so adorable. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Peeps are my favorite. I never even thought to make my own. These are so beautiful I loooove them!

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMG...this is the Bomb, kid.
    Look how many HITS you got!!!

    I'm very impressed with your blog so far. Your elan for your craft shows, sweets.
    Simply Ab-Fab.

    dessert is my favorite course in dinner,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are AMAZING! Wow, my kids would go nuts if I made homemade peeps...which reminds me that I have to buy at least one pack for Easter. Wonderful post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so fabulous and funny at the same time. A drag queen's peep dream come true. I just LOVE them! And yes, disco dust rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  36. hahaha ... great!!! pics are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. thinking of making these for my sister in law. Peep Divas coming up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well aren't these the cutest little things. Glamorous indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  39. These are awesome! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  40. My daughters eyes just bugged out of her head when she saw these!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just too cute for words. Very impressive! Makes it worth your while to make your own marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are so funny and cute! Are you actually going to eat them or just look?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my gosh! Those are awesome!!! Too fancy to eat! (But I would still eat them!)

    ReplyDelete
  44. You are so incredibly talented...I can't stand it!...LOL
    Who would have thought of making such adorable little peeps out of marshmallow cream?!
    Perfect for Easter!
    Thank you so much for your kind words, and caring!

    ReplyDelete
  45. OMGosh, they look awesome!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Fabulous.... and maybe they do double duty as sparkly lip shimmer too, once you eat them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my goodness...these are fantastic!! How cute is that... beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. So cute and clever!!. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. WOW!! Gorgeous!! I love them. You just keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow!!! Those are so adorable! I am seriously blown away. How "sweet" is this recipe! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  51. adorable! Those are peeps I would love to sink my teeth into!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Good job, it looks so professional. I always look forward to easter for the peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your peeps look fabulous! What a great idea. I love the pink and disco glitter combo. And they would look so pretty in an Easter basket. So, this is kind of like the adult version of dying Easter eggs...I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  54. wow, great post! I liked the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your talent blows me away. These are amazing.

    ReplyDelete