Thursday, September 22, 2011

Carrot Cake Frites & Cream Cheese Aioli



Have you ever had an idea in your head that you just can't shake?  One that constantly nags you until you finally give in and try it out?  For me that idea was carrot cake frites, and I'm really glad that I gave in and finally made them!
 This idea was actually born a few years ago.  I was working at a restaurant with a chef who told me "Meghan if you want to get press, you have to start incorporating weird ingredients in your desserts".  Are you serious?!  Boy did he have the wrong girl.  If someone is going to write about my desserts I want it to be because I made a fabulous dessert, not because I stuck an anchovy in panna cotta.  Thank you very much!  Now I totally love playing with new ingredients and trying new things, but just to get some press, I think I'll pass.  I also believe that success comes when you do what you love, not when you try to be something you're not.
Okay so about a week later this same chef gets an article written about him.  What was the article on you ask?  Frites, and I'm being serious.  So needless to say I went on a bit of a rampage at this point, my poor assistant.  What I basically came up with was that if he could get an article on frites, I was going to turn my carrot cake into frites and serve them with cream cheese aioli.  I have to admit I really thought it was genius.  Anyway after a few days I got over it, but for the past few months they have been back in my head.  So after talking about them incessantly to anyone who would listen, I finally made them.  All I can tell you is that they are beyond fabulous!!!  They turned out tasting surprisingly light with the funnel cake acting like a light airy pillow around the carrot cake.  The sea salt in the cinnamon sugar topping balanced the frites beautifully, and completely sealed the deal.  The cream cheese aioli is my cream cheese frosting turned into a dipping sauce by adding sour cream.  The sour cream also cuts down on the sweet factor by adding a little tang to it making it the perfect accompaniment.   They look awesome, taste delicious, and they're totally me!  I hope you make them!

  
Funnel Cake Batter
  • 1 cup AP Flour
  • 1/2t. baking powder
  • 1/2t. salt
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  1. Mix dries together.
  2. Whisk egg & milk together.
  3. Whisk milk & egg in to dry dries just until incorporated.
Cream Cheese Aioli
  • 4 & 1/2 oz. cream cheese 
  • 4T. unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  1. Cream room temperature butter and cream cheese together.
  2. Slowly add in sugar.
  3. Stir in sour cream.
Cinnamon Sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2t. cinnamon
  • 2t. sea salt
  1. Mix all ingredients together.
Carrot Cake Frites
  1. Heat fryer to 350 degrees.
  2. Slice up 1 loaf of frozen carrot cake.
  3. Dip each piece of carrot cake into funnel cake batter.
  4. Fry 2-3 at a time depending on the size of your fryer for 3-4 minutes.  Turn after a minute or two to ensure even color.
  5. When they're golden transfer them to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
  6. Dredge in cinnamon sugar & serve. 


36 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! What a great idea. I love carrot cake and the cream cheese aioli is so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMYGOSH, Meghan! These are beautiful! But WHY do I seem to gain 5 lbs just from visiting your blog?! LOL
    I love that you are doing what you love while staying true to yourself :)

    These. Are. FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so amazing, esp with the cream cheese dip on the side, delish!

    http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would have been absolute tragedy for you to not have made this. I sincerely believe it. It's a phenomenal idea. I love all three components; funnel cakes, carrot cake and cream cheese frosting. I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks unbelievable! Carrot cake is my favorite dessert and this is definitely innovative and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you didn't "shake" this idea! This is so fun and the frites look super yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty sure this is one of the most amazing things ever...I love anything carrot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9/22/2011

    WOW! You have done it again (and again, and again lol) these look and sound super yummy! Another book mark! Oh, and I will be looking forward to those red velvet frites with the root beer shooter :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meghan, how creative! This is an incredible dessert! Love the cake 'batter' buzzzzz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is totally clever and looks like it would be a lot of fun to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow these babies look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a creative idea!!! I absolutely love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are truly genius. I'm so glad you listened to yourself and finally made them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9/22/2011

    This was a great idea, indeed. I agree, success should come from doing what you love, not trying to lure people in with crazy ideas. Great post, I pinned this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a neat idea this would get you press but the other key is to over charge for it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH, YES!!! These look amazing!!! I'd pick these over pommes frites every.single.time! WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now this is what I call genius! And I truly think you're right - doing what you love should get you press, not trying to impress other by being what you're not =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! Let me pick myself up off of the floor! Ahhhhhh-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The video is helping so much! The presentation is beautiful and the dessert sounds yummy! If I try this my dietitian is going to kill me :-) I guess I have to keep silent then... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks wonderful! Enjoyed the video clip. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous9/23/2011

    What an awesome idea! Sounds sooo delicious. Very creative and cute, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your video! Makes everything look so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A-maz-ing, Meghan! The idea of this is awesome and I can imagine that they taste so good. I love the cinnamon/sugar dusting!1

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very creative Meghan, can't wait to try them. Very excited to try the dipping sauce also.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this is decadent but as a carrot cake lover I kind of need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous9/23/2011

    These look terrific! I completely agree with you - if you're not making something you love and believe in - no amount of press is worth it!

    Congratulations on an amazing invention!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fantastic idea! I love it, very creative. It just goes to show that our best ideas can come to us in a moment of passionate anger (or frustration) *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great photos, fun presentation. I had the advantage of eating one of them, I can say it was a delicious carrot cake with a subtle crunch. The aioli sauce was gilding the lily but what the hay...:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job on the video! Very fun, and what a great way to make dessert and easy finger food.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great idea! So glad you finally made them! They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a fun idea. Wish I could grab one and start dipping.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Um now I'm not going to be able to get these out of my head-L O V E!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yum what a great idea! Glad you finally decided to make this one :) I want to make these for date night with my BF, he will be so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a cute neat idea! So original and innovative! I wish I could have one or two of those to sample (or more ;-) ). And I love your video - can go straight to the food network ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dang girl, what a fun recipe! I just may have to make these and feature them on my blog, I think they are a perfect fall treat. I am glad you followed through with you fantastic idea. Cant wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Absolutely fantastic idea!!

    ReplyDelete