The original Monster Cupcakes were such a hit that I had to make a Valentine version. I baked a batch of my favorite red velvet cupcakes, and while they were cooling I made a batch of buttercream. Once the cupcakes were completely cool I frosted them with buttercream that I colored pink and red. I used a piping bag with tip #133 to get the fuzzy, furry look I was going for. Next I used all different kinds of candy and sprinkles to make the mouths. I found valentine candy corn, heart shaped sprinkles, and conversation hearts. I also used fondant hearts for some of them.
|This one looks lost in lala land!|
I also used some little eye candy that I found at Michael's which worked out really well. If you don't want to go the fondant route, you can also pick up some heart shaped lollipops to use for eyes. Either way you definitely have options. This is a really great project for kids to get involved in, and a charming little present to share with someone you love :)
What you'll need
- Pink and red food coloring
- Pastry bag
- Tip #133
- Fondant for eyes
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Assorted candy such as candy corn, heart shaped sprinkles, conversation hearts, & eye candy
- Red & silver disco dust
|I love the one in the middle with the eyelashes!|
- Bake cupcakes & make buttercream
- Color buttercream red & pink.
- Pipe buttercream on completely cooled cupcakes using tip #133.
- Make mouths out of assorted candy.
- Roll out white & red fondant, and cut out different shaped hearts to make eyes. When fondant is dry brush with a small amount of water, then disco dust if you want the sparkly effect. Once fondant is dry insert toothpicks and stick in cupcakes. Eyes can also be made using heart shaped lollipops.
|I love that the googly eyes & heart shaped mouth make this one look surprised!|