Monday, February 6, 2012

Love Monster Cupcakes


The countdown to Valentine's Day is officially on, and I'm in the midst of baking craziness friends. Today's post is fun project fit for all skill levels.  These Love Monster cupcakes are ridiculous and over the top, just the way I like them.  I love that they're so wonky looking, because I think love makes us all a little wonky!
The original Monster Cupcakes were such a hit that I had to make a Valentine version.  I baked a batch of my favorite red velvet cupcakes, and while they were cooling I made a batch of buttercream. Once the cupcakes were completely cool I frosted them with buttercream that I colored pink and red. I used a piping bag with tip #133 to get the fuzzy, furry look I was going for.  Next I used all different kinds of candy and sprinkles to make the mouths.   I found valentine candy corn, heart shaped sprinkles, and conversation hearts.  I also used fondant hearts for some of them.
The last part of this project was to create the eyes.  I used some fondant and a heart shaped cookie cutter to make the eyes.  At first I used a small cutter, but then moved on to a larger one to create that googly effect.   I glammed them all up with disco dust and some of them even got eyelashes!  This is the part of the project that I love because as you start decorating, the cupcakes start to take on little personalities.

This one looks lost in lala land!


I also used some little eye candy that I found at Michael's which worked out really well.  If you don't want to go the fondant route, you can also pick up some heart shaped lollipops to use for eyes.  Either way you definitely have options.  This is a really great project for kids to get involved in, and a charming little present to share with someone you love :)

What you'll need

  • Cupcakes
  • Buttercream
  • Pink and red food coloring
  • Pastry bag
  • Tip #133
  • Fondant for eyes
  • Heart shaped cookie cutter
  • Toothpicks
  • Assorted candy such as candy corn, heart shaped sprinkles, conversation hearts, & eye candy
  • Red & silver disco dust

I love the one in the middle with the eyelashes!




Assembly

  1. Bake cupcakes & make buttercream
  2. Color buttercream red & pink.
  3. Pipe buttercream on completely cooled cupcakes using tip #133.
  4. Make mouths out of assorted candy.
  5. Roll out white & red fondant, and cut out different shaped hearts to make eyes.  When fondant is dry brush with a small amount of water, then disco dust if you want the sparkly effect.  Once fondant is dry insert toothpicks and stick in cupcakes.  Eyes can also be made using heart shaped lollipops.


I love that the googly eyes & heart shaped mouth make this one look surprised!

61 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/06/2012

    these are absolutely adorable!! I love the googly eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking cupcakes...likely as much fun to eat as they are to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how adorable! And I bet they taste great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun Valentine's treats! Love these monsters...would be perfect for kids and adults!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the cutest Valentine's Day Cupcakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only if monsters were so sweet and yummy - we all would have so loved them:)Lovely idea to create these Love monsters, dear - they are absolutely yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So adorable! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2/06/2012

    These are brilliant - love their googly eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monstrously creative and adorable. Only you could make monsters that were both cute as well as delicious! Also, I can tell by your writing that you had fun making these. Buzz buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As usual, you've killed it in the cuteness department! These guys are almost too cute to eat. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are awesome. I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful cupcake for my Valentine!! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw these in my e-mail and I just had to open it, how friggen cute! You do such wonderful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Per usual, your creations totally blow me away! These are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SO SO cute!! I love these little love monsters! And I agree, the one with the eyelashes is my fave too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE these cupcakes! They are absolutely adorable!! Maybe dumb question... do you buy fondant? I've never used/make it before, I love the little heart eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! That's definitely not a dumb question, I buy fondant. You can get it at craft stores such as Michael's & AC Moore.

      Delete
  18. Awww, these are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are too cute!!! They look so delicious. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too cute!!! I really wish i could bring homemade treats to my sons school - these would be a hit for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this project! I think my son would have so much fun making these (I was thinking in green!). These are too cute and look really delicious! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so adorable! I would have loved these as a kid, but they are almost too cute to eat (who am I kidding I would devour them ;))!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute I wouldn't even want to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are batter than a basket of kittens! If my man made these for Valentines Day I would be a happy gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - sorry, that should read 'better' - I guess I just can't wait to whip up a batch of these. I've got batter on the brain.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Thanks Kelli! I've got batter on the brain too!

      Delete
  25. These cupcakes make me smile. I wish I was more creative. I do find copying your great ideas but I'm no artist and you really are.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are SO cute!! Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome idea! My favorite is the la-la land monster. Perfect for kids to make, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonky? I like that...If it isn't wonky, it may not be fun at all, right? This post is so sincere and so fun. We will definitely have fun in the kitchen (hubby, little girl and me...) Thanks! Happy Love Month!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I LOVE these! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are fantastic. I am not sure I am capable of making something like this. Your talent amazes me. Congrats on top 9!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! You are definitely capable of making these!!

      Delete
  32. hehehe this is so adorable! Love your beautiful monsters!:) Congrats on well deserved top 9!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are so talented!!! These are so cool!!! Congrats on the Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These cupcakes are adorable, and so creative. These would be fun for kids to make on a different level:)

    Congrats on the Top 9 today!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love these and love your creativity, Congrats on Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Incredible! Just seen these in Top 9 and had to pop in to say BRAVO. These are too funny - and love the "lost in lala land"!

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh soooo cute and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are amazing! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congrats for being Top 9! I Love Red Velvet cupcakes and they look SO pretty :D thanks for the inspirations for Valentine's Day ~

    ReplyDelete
  40. They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Those are insanely cute!! Congrats on the Top 9! VERY well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  42. My kids would go crazy over these! So creative.
    Congrats on Top 9!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are the ABSOLUTE cutest things I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  44. You are amazing! These are the cutest thigns I've ever seen! How adorable and creative. LOVE this! <3

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love these! I wish my daughter's school allowed homemade treats - everything must be store bought. :( We may have to make these for the neighbors anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  46. you really outdid yourself again- i just love your creative creations!! I love the aloof looking one. I need to go get that piping tip so I can try!

    ReplyDelete
  47. These little monsters are really cute. The candy corn one is my favorite. I will have to keep these in mind when my boys get into Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Sooooooo cute, these little love monsters! Love the 'furry' icing. You are such a creative lady!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love these! Great treat for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I've been meaning to get over here and tell you how darn cute these were, my nieces would love them. I love that tip and how you get the fuzzy effect. I hope I have some time soon, so I can make the girls some cute cupcakes like these. I've been packing for weeks and I've had about enough of that, baking is much funner. Hope you had a great weekend.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete