Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Nashville, Taylor Swift, and my Birthday





A few weeks ago I spent a fabulous weekend with some friends in Nashville, aka my happy place :)  We were definitely all in need of a little vaca, it was my birthday weekend, and we were able to get floor seats to the Taylor Swift concert!
Now before I start telling y'all about how much I love Nashville, it was my birthday weekend, and I think birthdays are a good time to reflect on the past year.  A lot has changed in the past year, and I learned some very important lessons.  The first is that the people who want to be there, will always be there.  No matter how busy we all get, or how crazy life gets, people who want to be part of your life will always make the effort.  For those people I'm beyond grateful.  The second is no matter what you do, there is always going to be someone who is not happy about it.  Get over it and do what makes you happy!  
Getting back to the trip, it was amazing!  This was my second trip to Nashville, and I'm happy to report I fell in love with it all over again.  The city has such an amazing energy that I don't know how anyone could go there and not be happy.  As soon as I start walking down Broadway and begin to see Legends, Tootsies, and the rest of the strip, I become elated!  I guess it has something to do with the fact that Nashville is Music City, and I love music!  There's seriously music everywhere, all day, every day, and once I'm in the midst of it all, I never want to leave.  We heard amazing live music the whole time we were there, and Friday night we went to see Taylor Swift!

Juicy, me, Justin, & Michelle 

We all thought she put on a fabulous show and enjoyed every minute of it.  First of all our seats were incredible.  I still can't believe how close we were to the stage-gasp!  Taylor kicked off the show with Sparks Fly, and about 30 seconds in I got completely swept up and came to terms with the fact that I'd probably have no voice the next day.  The vibe I got from watching her perform is that she is very poised and genuine.  The amount of thought and work that went into the show was evident.  There was not one detail that was missed in her show.  Between the sets, costumes, dancers, and all the musicians, it felt like a Broadway show and concert rolled in one.

Sparkly Sparks Fly Dress - Love it!

Why ya gotta be so mean??

"Speak Now" This was like a musical!

"Dear John"  I have to admit I like this song more now that I've seen her perform it.

"Enchanted" Definitely one of my top T Swift songs and I loved the set!
She came off as really down to earth, and she talked about how she writes her music based on life and relationships.  Kind of reminded me how I create desserts based on life and relationships.  She also mentioned that Nashville is her favorite city which led to the whole arena, including our crew, going crazy.  The last song of the set was "Long Live" and I couldn't take my eyes off her guitar!  I would love to turn that into a cake. Hello disco dust :)

"Long Live" 
One of the highlights of the show was when Ronnie Dunn joined her on stage.  They performed his single "Bleed Red" and I can't even explain how great it was!  I was so full of I love Nashville at this point that I seriously could have just burst!  The last song she did during her encore was Love Story.  It was a perfect way to end an enchanting show!
I also had the opportunity to attend a song writing event while I was there.  All these song writers and musicians get together, network, and make music on the third Sunday of every month.  The reason I'm writing about this event is because this really brings to light what I love about Nashville.  It is a wonderful community of people doing what they're passionate about.  These people all help each other any way they can, and you don't see that very often.  I mentioned to one woman how every time I'm in Nashville I get overwhelmed by how nice people genuinely are.  She told me that I have to remember that at one point all of them were new in town, and someone helped them.  Everyone I met was so welcoming, and I'm so happy I was able to attend and meet some really cool people.
Well thank you Nashville, it was a fabulous weekend! Actually the whole thing was enchanting and I can't wait to go back!  Also a huge thanks to my friends for making this the best birthday!  At this point you're probably thinking um Meghan why haven't you mentioned the food?!  Well I had a lot of wonderful food including an incredible birthday cake!  I got to check out some really cool spots, and I'll have a post up on all my Nashville eats in the next few days :)

21 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like a fantastic trip and a lovely concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful birthday-you did celebrate in style, I am sure it was an awesome concert. Happy belated birthday and I wish you many more fun filled celebrations in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, it's eveident how much you like your music, that's really cool!
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome birthday glad you had so much fun you deserve it. And thank you so much for this reminder: "no matter what you do, there is always going to be someone who is not happy about it. Get over it and do what makes you happy!" I hear ya girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, that concert looks amazing! What a show :) Happy Birthday by the way!

    Buzzed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10/05/2011

    I lived in Nashville for a little over 2 years. MISS it like crazy!!!! So glad you got to go down Broadway and also see Taylor. Can't wait to see your post about the food! Seriously, Nashville is a gem that way. Some of the best restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10/05/2011

    P.S. Happy Birthday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW that is seriously one heck of a concert.....I've been to a lot of shows but nothing that seems that elaborate. What a wonderful way to spend your birthday weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh Happy Birthday!! What an amazing weekend, I LOVE Taylor Swift!! Looks like you all had so much fun!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for attending the 3rd Sunday at 3:00 at my house!Glad to meet YOU and hope you come back soon! Anyone is welcome to the event. Go to www.nashvillemuse.com for details! Thanks for the Care Package today - DELICIOUS! doak

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great, GREAT post -- and photos! So glad you enjoyed your birthday celebration... what you said was so true. The people who want to be a part of your life are the ones who will be there for you. I'm so glad they were. :) Yay, Nashville!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Meghan! It looks like you had a wonderful time in Nashville! Thanks for sharing those awesome pics. That was quite a production. But most of all...thanks for sharing your birthday reflections. Spot on for my life right now...and I will be thinking of them for my birthday later on this month! GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday!! So, you are Libra too! I always knew that Libras are gifted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! Those are great birthday reflections too-- I couldn't agree more. Great post on Nashville. I haven't been yet but its on my "must see" list! Glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday! Glad you had such a great weekend to celebrate. I saw something on CMT about Taylor Swift's last tour, and it was amazing how much control she had and what a clear vision she had. Very creative and so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you were in Nashville..so happy that you like it here:) Happy Belated Birthday..looks like you had so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10/06/2011

    It sounds like you had a great time! I'm a fan of country music and I'm glad that everyone was nice...Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a wonderful trip--thanks for sharing! Loved your pictures of the concert--you were really close!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all the birthday wishes & kind words! So happy you guys enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday!!! P.S... Taylor Swift is one of my guilty pleasures! (I feel like I am WAY too old to like her music... lol!)

    ReplyDelete