I've been patiently waiting for rhubarb the past few weeks, and finally got my hands on some the other day. I have this one track mind when it comes to rhubarb, I immediately make strawberry rhubarb compote. The color, the flavor, the versatility, it all just screams Spring to me. I already had a new dessert that incorporates this compote scheduled when I thought this compote is good enough to drink. If it's good enough to drink, then I should definitely add a little something to it, and since Cinco de Mayo is coming up, I might as well make it a margarita.
I then had a strawberry rhubarb margarita last weekend in NY which was an epic fail, so I was on mission to make one fine drink. Now I know it may seem like a lot of work to make this compote for a drink, but it's really yummy, and I suggest making a big batch of it so you're ready for the recipe I have coming next week. It's a good one!
I used both tequila and Grand Marnier to make the margarita. There is a little orange zest in the compote, and the Grand Marnier enhances it adding a brightness to the drink. The compote is on the sweet side so the tequila cuts it perfectly. It's slightly thicker than a regular margarita from the compote, and the flavors just all work really well together. I'll definitely be making a few more!
I also want to mention I will no longer have GFC on my site next week, so if you want to stay up to date, please subscribe my email. Hope you all have a great weekend, I've got some good stuff in store for you next week!
Strawberry Rhubarbarita (yields 1 drink)
- 4 oz. strawberry rhubarb puree (recipe below)
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. Grand Marnier
- juice of half a lime
- Rim edge of glass with a lime wedge and dip in either salt or sugar. I went with sugar this time.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour all ingredients in & shake it up.
- Pour in glass & enjoy.
- 1/2lb. rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pint strawberries quartered
- 1/4 cup sugar (depending on sweetness)
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- zest of 1 orange
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes till rhubarb is tender and compote starts to thicken.
- Pulse compote in food processor till smooth.
- Refrigerate till ready to use.