Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cadbury Mini Egg Cheesecake Bars




Spring has officially sprung!  The weather is gorgeous, iced coffee is in full effect, and all of a sudden we can't go out to dinner anywhere that doesn't offer outdoor seating!  I feel like this all happened really quickly, I didn't even start Spring cleaning yet.  By Spring cleaning, you should know I mean cleaning out the shoe collection to make room for new ones ;)  Anyway, this burst of summer weather is definitely welcome.  I may not be getting much done, but I sure am enjoying it.  One thing I did get done this week are these Cadbury mini egg cheesecake bars.  My favorite Easter candy combined with cheesecake is a very good way to welcome Spring!
I knew going into this that I wanted to make a cheesecake, but the thought of the springform pan, wrapping it in foil, and preparing the water bath was all a bit much for me to handle.  I don't know if it was the fact that I was being really contrary, or maybe it was the ridiculously long to do list weighing on my mind, but making a regular cheesecake just seemed like too much work at the moment.  Whatever it was, it worked in my favor because cheesecake bars were totally the way to go!  These are some serious bars, both the crust and the cheesecake are filled with mini eggs, so the little portion of a bar is just enough.  The crust is like a giant cadbury mini egg cookie, so that in itself tell you this is some good territory!  For the cheesecake filling, I put the mini eggs in the food processor to break them up a bit so they wouldn't sink to the bottom.  If you don't have a food processor you can also put the candy in a ziploc bag, and give them a few slams with a rolling pin.  This method is quite therapeutic.
As for that little pink swirl on top, what can I tell you, I just can't help myself!  I reserved a half cup of the cheesecake batter and colored it pink.  Once I poured the cheesecake in the pan, I spooned the pink batter on top and swirled it together with a toothpick.  It's all in the details, and just that little extra touch  makes them so pretty :)  Hope you enjoy them!


Cadbury Mini Egg Cookie Crust

  • 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoons AP flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces cadbury mini eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Cream butter and sugars till light and fluffy.
  3. Add egg and vanilla extract.
  4. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and mix to combine.
  5. Mix in cadbury eggs.  If you use a stand mixer like I did, the mixer will break up most of the eggs for you.  If you use a hand mixer, you might have to break them up before adding them.
  6. Line an 8" square pan with parchment paper & spray with nonstick spray.  Spread cookie dough evenly in pan and bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.  
Cadbury Mini Egg Cheesecake Bars

  • 16 ounce cream cheese, room temp
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 8 ounces cadbury mini eggs
  1. Mix cream cheese and sugar in mixer.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla extract.
  3. Add in heavy cream. 
  4. Once the cheesecake is mixed, transfer 1/2 cup of the batter to a separate bowl.  Tint that 1/2 cup of batter pink with food coloring. Set aside for now.
  5. Crush the cadbury mini eggs. You can either do this by pulsing them in a food processor, or putting them in a ziploc and giving them a few good slams with your rolling pin.  
  6. Add the cadbury mini eggs to the batter. Pour cheesecake batter on top of cooled crust. For a little extra insurance, I spray the pan with some nonstick spray again before adding the cheesecake batter.
  7. With that remaining 1/2 cup of pink cheesecake batter:  Spoon dollops of it on top of the cheesecake batter and swirl it in with a toothpick.
  8. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
  9. Once bars have cooled, refrigerate over night before cutting them. 
*Notes

  • For a nice cut, heat your knife so you have clean edges.  
  • I got 9 servings, but they are really thick so I think you can definitely cut them smaller and get at least 12.
  • I used an 8" pan, but you could also use a 9" pan for these.  The bake time may have to be adjusted a bit, so keep an eye on them.
















65 comments:

  1. Lovely! I wonder, how you always manage to make your desserts look like you? cute and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Muna! Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. This is amazing!
    I could use one right now. I love the colors, and it looks so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are so pretty! I'd love a little outdoor dining, but it's almost too hot here now and the gnats are out in full force. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! Our warm wether has come & gone already, but it was nice while it lasted!

      Delete
  4. Those are the best looking spring time cheesecake bars I have seen!!! Love swirl of colors and the cookie crust!!! I would really love one or two or even six of those bad boys:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mini eggs are one of my favorite Easter candies. This is such a fun idea, and the pink is a cute touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I can't help myself with the pink!

      Delete
  6. I knew I shouldn't of opened your post when I saw it in my e-mails. There pretty and look yummy!! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, definitely one of those desserts I had to get out of the house!

      Delete
  7. Perfect for Easter! I am so happy we can finally enjoy outdoor dining, however, here is Texas that won't be for too much longer. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can only imagine how hot it gets there, enjoy it while you can!

      Delete
  8. So cute! I love that you made this into bar form - so much easier for a party, just grab and go :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these! I'm the only person in my house that likes Cadbury eggs. No problem, that means more for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Meghan, they're beautiful and they're also making me chew on my knuckles. I want to eat some right now! Lexi and I will bake some before spring break. :) Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! Hope you & Lexi enjoy them :)

      Delete
  11. These are irresistible Meghan! They look so delicious and your pictures are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooo Easter-licious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness those look so good! So Easter-y!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy!! I want to gobble them all up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yumm!! Look at all that cadbury egg goodness!! The pink swirl on top makes this already adorable dessert just insanely cute and perfect for Easter/Spring! Besides the cuteness they sound just plain irresistible! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing! Can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These bars are so cute, delicious and festive - a great mix :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Double Nutella Layered Cheesecake Brownie Bites

    ReplyDelete
  18. Candies do have a way of making everything better! Creative of you to use these for cheesecake. Most people's first thought is to put candies in cookies. Also, I like that last minute pink decision for the top layer. I am smiling because this is a tasty reminder that Easter is right around the corner. This may be the first Easter thing I will eat this year! Well done and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the way you do spring cleaning!!! I heartily approve. I also approve and adore your cheesecake bars...they are so beautiful and I can only imagine their deliciousness! Another winner!!! Enjoy your weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooohhhh, I love Cadbury eggs. I am saving this and adding it to my baking list. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous3/23/2012

    These are fantastic! SO bright and colorful - another winner! No surprise, but yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are adorable... or adoreggable. Love them. I also love your cake stand. And your pink background. And you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you're so cute! Thanks Kim! Adoreggable, I love it :)

      Delete
  23. Oh goodness, I have been eating some of these all day long. These cheesecake bars look SO SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, what a treat! I looove cheesecake, and how to make it even better? Cadbury eggs! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are SO pretty! I love that there are Cadbury eggs in the crust, in the cheesecake layer, and on top!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aren't these the cutest? I would love to celebrate Easter with these wonderful treats! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look incredible. I would love to feature these.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look so yummy! I have to make them for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! I think I'm going to have to make them again!

      Delete
  29. Making cheesecakes is definitely a huge production. I made 3 cheesecakes on Thanksgiving day because one cracked since I didn't use the water bath, the second one got soaked in water because the foil wasn't tight enough for the water bath, and the third one still got soaked even with the foil and oven bag. Yeah, I hate making cheesecakes.

    But cheesecake bars? Yes, yes and yes. That cookie crust sounds so innovative, and I love how pretty these have turned out. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sounds like you had a rough Thanksgiving! Next time you make a regular cheesecake, wrap your springform pan very tightly in plastic wrap then wrap in aluminum foil. It will prevent water from ever ruining another one of your cheesecakes!

      Delete
  30. So pretty! Happy Spring! Still waiting here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! It got chilly again, but it was nice while it lasted!

      Delete
  31. I love munching on mini cadbury eggs, what a fun idea to add them in delicious cheesecake! Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am a little bit in love with your blog....it's so inspirational! I can't wait to make these :) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  33. Hi there! This recipe sounds AWESOME but i have a question about the Cadburry eggs. Do they break in the mixer or do you have to break them by hand (like crushing in a bag beforehand)? I have had them before and they seem pretty sturdy. Thanks!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin! For the cookie crust, the cadbury eggs broke up in the mixer. For the cheesecake filling, I used a food processor to break them up before adding to the batter. Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  34. These are the ultimate Easter Treat you hit on the mark here! According to my daughter they WILL BE our new Easter Tradition for now and forever <-- her words haha I would love to come and hang out with you in the kitchen for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  35. PS ... the pink swirl ... genius ... Ron Ben Israel should meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Do you bake this in a waterbath the second time round? I will soooo be baking this for the weekend!!! Well done for you excellent recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No water bath needed. Thanks & enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Thanks!!! Bought my ingredients today will be making on sataday!!! I hope we dont eat all the ini eggs til then!!!!

      Delete
  37. Perfect for Easter! I usually can't keep mini eggs around long enough to bake with them, but I'll try really hard to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Making these tonight... so far so good... :) Hoping my friends like them! (Although, what's not to love?) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful photos and a fantastic recipe! My daughter would most likely devour those eggs before they got on top of the bars though.
    I also wanted to make sure you knew that a site called "cake recipes with pictures dot com" is using your post, photos and recipe, and they have a "pin it" button to drive traffic to their site.
    They had stolen one of my posts and it's taken me weeks to get them to take it off. I finally contacted google adsense (their add in the upper corner) to make a complaint and finally my stolen content was removed from their site.
    I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I wanted to make sure you knew it was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! You are not overstepping at all. I appreciate you letting me know, will look into it today. Thanks!

      Delete
  40. Just made these, the smell is so tempting I want to eat it now and not leave it in the fridge! But I was wondering how the top of your cheesecake is so gooey?! Mine has crusted like a brownie/cake mixture would on top and i've lost my beautiful pink swirl :( I'm sure they will taste yummy they just don't look it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny! Glad you made them! Only thing I can think of is bake time, sometimes it's just a matter of a few minutes. For instance, I kept a close watch on them , & as soon as I noticed they started to get color around the edges, I took them out. Hope you enjoy them :)

      Delete