Monday, November 28, 2011

Walnut Kiss Cookies


Walnut kiss cookies are definitely one of my all time favorite holiday cookies.  These little tea cakes have many names, but I always call them kiss cookies because they're light, nutty, and full of flavor.  They can definitely be made year round, but there's something about dredging them in powdered sugar that makes me think of snow and holidays.  As soon as Thanksgiving is over, and I start to pull out all the Christmas decorations, I head straight into the kitchen and whip up my first batch of the season.
These cookies are always a big hit because they're not overly sweet.  People always seem to have room for one, or two, or a few more, but who's counting??  My favorite way to enjoy them is with a mug of hot chocolate, especially when it's spiked with some Baileys!  When I make these cookies, I scoop all my cookie dough and freeze it.  We all know how busy it gets this time of year, so any chance to get ahead is always a good thing.  Freezing the cookie dough will ensure that you'll always be prepared for any last minute parties, or unexpected company that happens to drop in.  Another reason I love freezing cookie dough before baking it is that the cookies bake evenly.  These cookies also ship really well so if you're thinking about sending someone some holiday love this season, these are perfect.  Whether you bake them for a party, send them to someone special, or just treat yourself, I hope you enjoy them!



Cookies
  • 2 ounces walnuts
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2t. salt
  • 1t. vanilla bean paste
  • 1 & 3/4 cup AP flour
  • powdered sugar, to dredge them in after they bake
  1. Toast walnuts at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes till they get a nice golden brown color.
  2. Once they are completely cool, pulse them in the food processor till they have the consistency of coarse cornmeal.  Watch them closely when you are pulsing them that you don't turn them into a nut paste. 
  3. Cream butter, sugar, and salt till light and fluffy.
  4. Add ground walnuts.
  5. Add flour and mix to combine.
  6. You could scoop and bake cookies at this point, but I recommend letting your dough chill at least  60 minutes so they bake evenly.
  7. I wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill it for at least 1-2 hours. Next I scoop all cookie dough and freeze it until ready to use.  I use a cookie scoop that yields 1/2 ounce portions of dough.
  8. From the freezer bake at 325 degrees for approx. 18 minutes rotating once half way through.
  9. After letting them cool slightly, dredge the cookies in powdered sugar.
** This recipe yields 38-40 cookies.
** Please note that my bake time is for frozen cookies.  If you bake them right away, or after chilling shortly, the bake time will probably be less than 18 minutes.
** Freezing cookies before baking them will result in cookies baking evenly, and all look the same.
** These cookies ship extremely well.

What a wonderful present!

45 comments:

  1. Oooh, these look like they'll melt on your tongue! I love this kind of cookie, one lasts forever and they are great with coffee. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these cookies! Never thought to make them at home though - and I'm sure they're so much better that way =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man those look tasty and super easy. Do you think they'd freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies are one of my favorites during the holidays. They look so good I could totally eat a few right now. Love the video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOoohh! I love all the pwdered sugar!! I like to blow it on my husband. LOL!! He doesn't think it's that funny. These cookies sound like the perfect holiday treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous cookies! Great tip on scooping out and freezing the dough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to these melt in your mouth yummies and the spiked hot chocolate. Tis the Season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so yummy! Def will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so delicious! I love nutty cookies :) My mom and I make something similar to this but their shaped into little croissants. Great recipe, it's definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these classic cookies! Yours are beautiful, and so perfect for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful and delicious. And pretty. Lethal combination! In a good way. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound fantastic. I love that you can freeze them ahead of time. I can see them being a big hit at a cookie swap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so pretty! I also love making lots of different types of cookies for the holidays! These look like little puffs of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect cookies for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So great that you freeze them and have them ready to bake for guests. Such a pretty cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous cookies! And so beautiful in your tin. I make these, too, except with pecans~yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful cookies..and you are so right about presentation..adorable and perfect for gifts! Also I loved your video..nicely done! I'll give you a buzz and a stumble!:))Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These sound perfect. And the only way that I like hot chocolate is spiked with Bailey's! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do something similar with my kourambiedes. Try to add some rum to the ingredients. I am sure you will be very happy with the result. Once again, thanks for the video...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore walnut cookies like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely cookies, lovely clicks and I absolutely love the name:)Feels so cozy!Thanks for the fabulous recipe - will try this out for a nutty extravaganza during the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful cookies and I love the name :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yummy! These are my daughters all time favorite Christmas cookie. I have a recipe I usually use but yours look so delicious, I think I will use your recipe this year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm addicted to your blog for a very good reason :) ... Love the cookies a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your name of the cookies, and the cookies themselves. i never thought to freeze the dough. thanks for tip.

    Congrats on the Top 9 today!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous11/30/2011

    I have to say I get a bit overwhelemed by all of the sweets around the holidays so I love a cookie that's not too sweet. These are so cute and would be perfect for a cookie exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful cookies! Please send me some! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Delicious!! Those are so pretty! :) Congrats on Top 9. Buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Powdered cookies are one of my favorites this time of year too! They just scream winter and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous cookies, and oh, so yummy, Meghan!
    Congrats on the Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Perfect for sharing, should I expect my package soon, he he. I make something similar with pecans, but my mom loves walnuts. Will have to make these for here. Hope you had a great holiday.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooh these sound delicious! I have a recipe similar for pecan balls, they're great. I'm going to have to try these out! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These cookies are my favorites. They look so delicious. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on the top 9! These cookies are great!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the idea to use them as presents. Very lovely presentation. Great seeing you on video. You're pretty good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love" walnut kiss cookies", we call them other way, but for me, as for you, are winter cookies, near Christmas, we always have in the house. We make in a crescent shape, small, small, just melting on your tong! I love to try your recipe... thanks,ilibli

    ReplyDelete
  38. A true classic! I know one would never be enough but nobody's gonna stop me in my kitchen ;)
    take care..

    ReplyDelete
  39. these are my favorite holiday cookies (but i make them with pecans & call them pecan balls). i'd love to try them with the walnuts one time! thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very pretty! They remind me of Russian tea cake cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. These cookies plus bailey's spiked hot chocolate sounds exactly like what i need right now. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous12/05/2011

    Now we are talking! Hot chocolate spiked with Bailey's to go with these cookies?! Either way, I'm sure they are absolutely delicious on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm back again...just to let you know, that I'm bookmarking your amazing yummy cookies to make for the Holidays!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  44. delicious looking cookies looks wonderful lovely site

    ReplyDelete